About MORE

Old logo part

Our History

In 1970, Rev. Labib Kaldas, an Egyptian pastor of El Saraya Church in Alexandria, Egypt, was visitng Toronto, Canada. He met with a group of Egyptian immigrants to Canada and challenged them to adopt one of several projects in their home country. The group chose the project of reviving the untended churches in Rural Egypt. Mr. Rofail Girgis rose to the challenge and formed a committee consisting of himself, Mrs. Aida Labib who acted as secretary, Dr. Farouk Aboukeer, Dr. Gamil El Faizy, Sbhi El Sawaf and Naim Gayed.
 
Meetings were held once annually at Knox Presbyterian Church in downtown Toronto. Donors were approached personally for donations. Our first donation to Egypt was for a total of $ 1200. U.S. and was sent at the end of 1970.

 

Reviving the Untended Churches in Rural Egypt project, funded repairs for abandoned churches, subsidized expenses for neigbouring pastors to tend the dispersed flock, built rooms for visiting laymen to encourage them to go to these remote areas in Egypt.

Our objective was to revive and support the run down and abandoned churches until they were able to become self supporting. Dr. Farouk Aboukeer suggested that we change the name of our project to "Mission of Rural Egypt" and use the acronym MORE.

 

About MORE's Founder

Mr. Rofail Girgis was a geography teacher and Principal at the English Mission College (E.M.C.) in Cairo, Egypt. At 73 years of age, Mr.Girgis and his wife Lily, emigrated to Canada in 1968. That same year, he started an Arabic ministry at Knox Presbyterian church with 8 members on the first Sunday in November, 1968. That Arabic ministry is now known as Chapel Place Presbyterian Church (CPPC), in Markham, Ontario.

 

On August 12, 1989, Mr. Girgis was called home at the ripe old age of 96 years, having faithfully served his master over several generations.

Mr Girgis for web
 

Ministry Partners